Monday, January 28, 2013

Dish #10: Austria - Gröstl

Tonight, I wanted a simple dinner that would be ready quickly and wouldn't require a big shopping trip, but would still take care of my hunger and leave me content.  Luckily the dish I picked for Austria, Gröstl, fit that bill perfectly!

Perhaps the two most favorite foods from Austria are Wiener Schnitzel (a simple breaded meat cutlet, usually veal, garnished with lemon and parsley, and served with a simple salad or potatoes) and Apfelstrudel (a heavy dough filled with a spiced apple, raisin, and nut mixture, rolled up and shaped into a horseshoe, then baked).  These are both delicious; I cook veal or pork cutlets prepared that way fairly often and I love all variations of apple streudel, or really any baked apple dessert.  Gröstl, however, deserves some attention too.  I imagine it's a great dish to eat after a long day of skiing, because it is super-packed with protein and carbs, and it's very filling.  I like it with the traditional fried egg on top, because let's face it, a fried egg on top takes many dishes to that extra level. 

I just loved this hearty and simple dish, equally suited to both breakfast and dinner.  I threw in leftover baked salmon instead of the ham called for in the recipe.  We loved it!  

Gröstl (recipe from BBC Good Food)

Ingredients
2 T vegetable oil
5 strips of bacon, cut into small chunks (or lardons or cooked ham)
1 medium yellow onion, cut into small chunks
2 cups cooked potatoes, cold and cut into small chunks (I used a medley of fingerlings to give the dish some fun color)
1 t caraway seeds
1½ tsp sweet paprika
2 dashes red pepper sauce (I used sriracha)
1 small bunch parsley, roughly chopped
1-2 fried eggs, to top each serving

Directions
Heat the oil in a large frying pan, then fry the bacon and onion together for 5 mins until the bacon is golden. Lift out of the pan onto a plate, then add the potatoes and fry for 10 mins more until golden.

Add the caraway and paprika, season well, then fry for another min, stirring to release their fragrance.

Return the bacon and onion, taste for seasoning, then add the parsley.  Stir to combine.

Serve hot topped with fried eggs.

No comments:

Post a Comment